It is officially fall and it actually feels like it. Well… for now at least. On Saturday I wore my oversized, cozy Levi’s hoodie and not only did it make me super happy, but it was so nice out that I wasn’t sweating up a storm in it. And my Instagram feed was filled with pumpkins and throwback photos of colorful leaves from last fall. As someone who lives and breathes summer and tropical weather, it is very unlike me, but I have to say, I’m loving and totally embracing the fall vibes.
Which brings me to today’s post. I think we can all agree, that the start of a new season is the best. Regardless of the season, there’s just something to celebrate. For fall, it’s the first day where you can walk outside and not want to run back into the air conditioning, for winter it’s the first snowfall of the season, for spring it’s when the flowers finally bloom and for summer it’s when you can finally step outside without 100 layers on. So I wanted to share a few other reasons why I love the start of a new season & specifically, how to prepare for fall.
I love the start of a new season in the way that I love the start of a new year. To me, it’s a fresh start. It’s a new beginning filled with possibilities and promise. It’s a bit cheesy I know, but I genuinely feel that way.
I feel refreshed and have this desire to re-organize every aspect of my life so I always feel like I’m the best version of myself at the start of a new season. I almost always fall into a rut at the end of a season. I just don’t know what to do or what to wear anymore. I end up wearing the same 5 things to work because I am over it. Especially in the winter, that’s when I’m at my worst!! But, when a new season rolls around, I’m much more inspired and I feel like I have 101 new ideas on what to wear, what to do for my blog and just what to do in life.
You have to admit that everything is just exciting at the start of a season. Pumpkins for Halloween? Yeah, duh, we expect that. But, when Whole Foods puts out a bucket of pumpkins in September? Woah baby, fall is officially here!! When it’s rainy and the leaves are falling in November? Gross, it’s cold and we are over it. When it’s raining and the colorful leaves are on the ground in October? It’s the best thing that has ever happened to us!
So as cheesy or cliche as I probably sound, I genuinely love the start of a new season. I think everyone is at their best and spirits are high. I went out to Soho & Chinatown last weekend, on the first day of fall and I swear there were 10 times more people out and about than last week when it was warm out.
Remember when I said a minute ago that I loved to get re-organized at the start of a season? Well I wasn’t joking. Last year when we were preparing for spring, I drove my mom and boyfriend crazy because I woke up one Saturday morning and decided to just clean and purge. I opened each and every drawer, cabinet and closet and ended up donating at least 10 bags of stuff. Is this what being an adult is like? Getting excited for weekends filled with cleaning and organization? And dreaming about the beauty of The Container Store & Target?
Anyways, I wanted to share my tips on how I prepare for the start of a season, specifically how to prepare for fall and please feel free to share any tips you may have!
How to Prepare for Fall:
- Switch Out Your Wardrobe – There’s nothing worse than running late in the AM, not watching the weather report and running out the door in sandals and a tee when it’s chilly because it was the first thing you could grab and everyone else around you is in a sweater & jacket. If you’re like me, you’re laaaazy in the morning and just grab whatever is in site as long as you didn’t already wear it this week and it’s clean. I hate searching for clothes so I always try to take the time to switch out my wardrobe and bring my sweaters and cozier items to the front so I have better access to them.
- Yes, You Can Spring Clean in the Fall – Purge your wardrobe! It will make you feel so much better and it will make your life easier. I like to do this at the start of a season because if I didn’t wear something at all last fall and don’t even remember having it then chances are, I’m not going to wear it this fall so it has to go. Stop making excuses and saying you will wear it, because we both know you won’t!
- Pick Up Some Pieces To Spruce Up Your Wardrobe – I get bit by the shopping bug real bad at the start of a season, but hello budget, I need to settle down. Besides, who has money to pick up all those new fall arrivals? Not your girl here, so I like to pick up a few pieces so I can incorporate them into my current wardrobe and feel like I’m wearing something new. I like to pick up a few sweaters, maybe a new bomber or moto jacket, a new pair of Vans and maybe a new pair of mules.
- Change Up Your Beauty Routine – I feel like my makeup shines in the fall! I don’t have to worry about sweating it off so I want to play around with it more. I like going for a darker berry lip, playing with my collection of eye shadow palettes, going for a darker nail color and going a little heavier with my nighttime cream to keep my face and body moisturized.
- Revisit Your New Year’s Goals – There are 3 more months left in the year. Can you believe that?? That’s so crazy. But, this is also a great time to revisit your New Year’s Goals and see if you’re on track to complete them or at least made some progress. It’s not too late to start if you haven’t. And since it’s a new season and you’re starting fresh, this is the best time to tackle your goals!
Do you like the start of a new season or do you not even care lol? If you do love the start of a new season, I would love to hear how you get ready for one!
Thank you so much for reading! Have a great week ahead!